I am looking for 15-20 beta readers for my novel, Nephilim.
Nephilim is a YA urban fantasy which tells the story of seven half-angel, half human teenagers who have been brought together to fight Sin on Earth, but somehow get tangled in the eternal fight between Above and Below.
It explores themes of family, friendship and self discovery.
Length: 73,000 words, 27 chapters
What am I looking for in a Beta Reader?
1. Familiarity with the genre. You don’t have to be a YA buff to apply, just know it would help both of us.
2. An avid reader. Do you have to read often? No. Must you like to read? It would help
3. Honesty. Didn’t like something? Let me know! Don’t be afraid to say exactly what you think.
4. Ability to give in depth, detailed answers. The longer, the better. None of this ‘I liked it,’ stuff. I need to know WHY.
5. Understanding that this is a rough, third draft. There will be typos, grammatical errors etc. Please ignore them.
6. Ability to stick to the deadline. V. important.
7. Genuine interest in the novel itself.
8. Please do not line edit- this is not what the Beta process is for. Feel free to highlight and add comments within the chapters (I really liked this line,) if you wish.
What will the Beta Reading process be like?
You will receive the full manuscript for Nephilim, and four sets of questions. These will be split up as follows: Act One, Act Two, Act Three, Overall thoughts. You will be guided as to when to answer the questions.
Once you have finished the novel, and all questions have been answered, just send it back to me (so I can cry.) I may contact you for clarification at a later date.
Please note that this is not a paid position, but a voluntary one and I will be eternally grateful to anyone who wishes to help.
Applications will close on the 15th December.
How to apply
Fill in this quick form here. I will send you the first two chapters and some preliminary questions. If you are still interested in reading the novel, please email me the completed document by the application deadline. I will inform you by the 20th December if I have accepted you for the first round.
Please understand that if I receive more applications than people I need, I can’t accept everybody. With your permission however, I will keep your application for the next round of beta beginning in April 2018
I completely understand that it is the holiday season. Therefore I will send the rest of the novel out on the 1st January 2018, unless you specifically state you want it straight away.
The deadline for completion will be the 4th February 2018. That’s five weeks people.
Thank you, good thoughts and happy writing!